Monday 4 July 2011

Romance

I have chosen the genre of romance for my short film, because as a pretty much die hard romantic all my life, it is the genre I probably have the best prior knowledge and therefore understanding of. Also, I believe to make a successful short film, it has to be about something you are passionate about, and that can be a reflection of your personality, and I feel like for me, the romance genre will be the perfect outlet.


...So What Is A 'Romance Film'?
While most films have some aspect of romance between characters (at least as a subplot) a romance film can be loosely defined as any film in which the central plot (the premise of the story) revolves around the romantic involvement of the story's protagonist. Common themes include the characters making decisions based on a newly-found romantic attraction. The questions, "What am I living for?" or "Why am I with my current partner?" often arise. (Wikipedia definition)


In summation: A romance film will typically have two protagonists, and the film will follow their relationship. There is often some sort of obstacle to overcome, which will stereotypically be resolved, to allow the characters to have their 'happy ending' This is not however always the case, and many directors may deliberately choose to be unconventional, and give their own take on the idea of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment